Author Topic: DIY Freshwater Planted Refugium Help?  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Jen

• View Profile
DIY Freshwater Planted Refugium Help?
« on: May 27, 2015, 12:54:06 AM »
Has anyone ever DIY'd a freshwater planted refugium?

We purchased a 90 gallon SW tank that came with a 23.3 gallon sump.  Probably not big enough for all of the biomedia, baffling, fuge, etc., but I'm not really sure.  There really isn't a lot of info out there on the world wide web about freshwater fuges.  Any info/photos/tutorials/guidance you might have would be most appreciated!

I'm pretty sure we'd like to use emersed pothos, but not sure what other plants.  Might even add some shrimp and use it as isolation if the need arises. 

Thanks all!

Jen

Offline KDS

• View Profile
Re: DIY Freshwater Planted Refugium Help?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 08:32:43 AM »
Hi Jen.  I am messing around with a 20 gallon refugium as part of my sump system for my 210 gallon cichlid tank.  As you know the thought is to have live plants use up some of the organics and nitrates in the water column to help with water quality.  I'm not sure it works very well but I am still adding plants at this stage. I have java fern, anacharis and hornwort in my fuge but will be adding a pothos soon as well.  Just not sure how I'm going to keep a pothos in my stand.  Truthfully, the best thing my fuge grows is algae and the amount of dead plant material in the fuge takes maintenance.  Maybe I should have just stuck to emergent plants but I am having fun with it and I just added snails to try to help with detritus and algae. Good luck and let me know how it goes. 

Offline Jen

• View Profile
Re: DIY Freshwater Planted Refugium Help?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 04:01:16 AM »
Thank you!!  Looks like I'll be going the 20 gallon route myself.  Any way you could post a picture or two (or three) of your setup?  My friend builds reptile enclosures so he has some leftover acrylic i can use for baffles.  Going to have to find a 20 long tomorrow so I can go over tomorrow and get it started.  Still kind of confused as to what order to put things in.  Not much info online and what little is out there I did find seems like people set it up differently. 

I've learned my lesson with hornwort.  It sheds way too much.  I'm trying to stick it out in my community tank for the sake of the fry (when they decide to arrive), but other than that NO MORE HORNWORT!!  LOL

Anacharis looks nice.  Maybe java moss?  Pothos is really great!  I've added it to nearly all of my tanks, hanging off the sides and some even in the filters.  It's so happy in there!!  Looking forward to giving the shrimp a try...