Author Topic: Fish store conductivity  (Read 2494 times)

Offline Bruce

• View Profile
Fish store conductivity
« on: May 08, 2015, 08:20:03 PM »
So today I stopped by a chain fish store to see what I couldn't stand to be without and finally found the emperor tetras that I have been looking for.  When I got them home I put my conductivity meter in the bag.  I expected it to be high but I was shock with the reading - 8240 uS !!!!  :o  I have attached a picture (I apologize for the low quality - I don't have nearly enough hands!).  I am not sure where this meter tops out but I have to believe that this reading is getting toward the top of the range.

Then the question becomes how in the world do I acclimate fish that have been in water like that?   :-\   I am open to recommendations.  What I have done so far is to add salt for a saltwater tank to increase my normal 400 uS water to about 2,000 uS.  I plan to do daily water changes until the water is down to my normal level.

Offline Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Southernapistos
Re: Fish store conductivity
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 09:46:20 AM »
8240 uS . . . that might be a record for what I've seen!!!!

You need to take 6-7-8 days to reduce the conductivity to your conductivity!  I would put them in a 2-5 gallon container, and match their conductivity, along with a sponge filter and every 2-3 hours or so go add a 1/4 gallon or so of "normal" water . . . SLOWWWWWWW or they are dead!!!

Good luck!!

Mike  ;D

Offline Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 11:41:16 AM »
I added the (6) fish to a 10g fish yesterday with a seeded rocket filter.  This morning I did a water change of approximately 10% and dropped the conductivity by a little less than 200 uS.  All fish are still alive, active, and eating. 

Based on Mike's advice I will do more frequent but smaller water changes throughout the weekend.  During the week I will have to switch back to a little larger water changes about 2-3 times a day because work seems to get in the way of my hobby!

Offline Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Southernapistos
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 11:31:40 PM »
 . . . sounds good to me!!

Mike  ;D

Offline Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 09:10:07 PM »
Just a quick update - conductivity is down to about 1400 uS and all 6 fish are still alive.  Fingers still crossed!

Offline Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Southernapistos
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 01:10:03 AM »
That's GREAT . . . what a lesson for everyone . . . how long has it taken you so far???

It HAS to be done when bringing the fish from a HIGH conductivity to a LOWER conductivity . . . people can argue with the range of the drop but when dropping you HAVE TO BE CAREFUL!!!  1000uS to 550uS is not a particular problem but typically anything from say 2000uS to 550uS or worse you have to be very very careful . . . it can be done but it's not a matter of a couple of hours!!!

Mike  ;D

Offline jG

• Red Discus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 09:28:10 AM »
This is a good example not knowing about fish not knowing the physiology with fish in general.
Death due to osmoregulatory failure takes any where from 10 days to 14 days if they survive past the 14 day period you are pretty much home free.

This just again shows keeping fish in that high of a conductivity is borderline incompetence.

jG
joeG

Offline Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 08:48:25 PM »
Death due to osmoregulatory failure takes any where from 10 days to 14 days if they survive past the 14 day period you are pretty much home free.

jG

Thanks for the timeframe Joe.  I am 7 days into this process so it looks like I have another week to go.

Offline Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 07:55:19 PM »

Today is day 14 since I bought the emperor tetras from a chain-fish-store that uses a salt block in their sump.  The fish are all still alive, active, and eating.  The conductivity that started at over 8,000 uS is now down to 800 uS range.  The tank with my other emperor tetras usually stays about 400 uS and I have let it edge up to about 600.  In the next few days I plan to take the new fish out of the quarantine/acclimation tank and add them to the primary species-specific tank.  At that point the conductivity of both tanks should be very similar.

Offline Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Southernapistos
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 11:00:54 PM »
GREAT JOB TO HAVE THAT PATIENCE!!!

I say it again . . . this is a GREAT GREAT lesson to everyone.  It's the number one reason to have a conductivity meter around!!!

You can holler and holler about this prioblem but people won't pay attention until they think the person with the story doesn't have a "dog in the fight"!!!

This is GREAT!!!

Thanks Bruce!!

Mike  ;D