Author Topic: "new" acrylic tank  (Read 5480 times)

Offline rcbows

• Tropical Fish Hobbyist and Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Rons Aquatics: Tropical Fish Hobbyist and Enthusiast
Re: "new" acrylic tank
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 07:45:21 AM »
Those LED strips you made are just like the (50) lights I made and showed at the SKS meeting at Hanks House and posted about last year!

You can see how I did it on my blog at http://ronsaquatics.com/2013/09/16/09-15-2013-led-light-strips/. I wrote up a whole how to DIY article. The problem I had with these lights is also explained in a second thread there. The idea has been around for sometime! They work fine in the beginning, but as time goes on the moisture gets to the LED light's and the connectors fail. Even when you buy water proof LED lights. They are not made for constant exposed moisture conditions, and the connector are not water proof. I even tried covering them with silicone hot glue and they still failed after some time. They are also not mold proof and the plastic get impregneted with it and loers the lumens even causing individual LED's to fail. I had them running for a year and they all failed eventually.

Maybe Bruce's will work better than mine, but I invested a lot in the parts and labor and ended up throwing it all in the storage shed. If anyone wants to try this themselves. As posted earlier and in the "tading Post" I have (2) Rolls of these LED lights and all the fitting and connectors you would want to use to make them (Cheap). You can see all the parts at the blog. Also I had to go back to flouresecent because the LED's did not give enough lumens of light off, for the plants to grow. The new commercial LED lights that are rated for plant growth will probably work better, but they are expensive.

I also tried the Marineland LED's that come on a cheaper hood ($ 29.95 ea.) and they don't last any longer than the DIY type. I think its a good Idea, but until they perfect the DIY LED's that are in my opinion a waste of money!
Thank You for Reading my Posts! Want to see my fishroom? Go here- http://ronsaquatics.com

Offline WMPL

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 02:17:50 PM »
I discussed the DIY light project with Bruce last evening at the general meeting and he has agreed to bring the light with him to the July meeting. Joe Gargas will be the speaker at the July meeting. We will steal 10 minutes from his presentation time and let Bruce talk for a few minutes on the finer points of constructing this very inexpensive light for your aquarium.
Bill Little
Past President
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society

Offline lauraleellbp

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 11:45:57 PM »
Oh super cool!  I really hope I can make the July meeting.

A friend of mine over on TPT who is a retired engineer is making some DIY PAR meters that he's been getting good results testing against other meters (He's in Tom Barr's aquarium club and I think he uses meter to compare/calibrate his DIYs) with good results.  He's selling them for pretty cheap (in the neighborhood of $25-35 I think) when he has time to make them, if the club is interested I could see if he'd be willing to make one for us? http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=615762&highlight=diy+par+meter

Offline rcbows

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 07:20:04 AM »
I will bring some of my lights to the next Meeting, that I made a year ago and show you how they work and look after 1 year of use!

Did anyone read my last post?

Ron
Thank You for Reading my Posts! Want to see my fishroom? Go here- http://ronsaquatics.com

Offline Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 06:41:31 PM »
LauraLee - at that price, I would be interested in purchasing one for myself.  I am familiar with PAR meters like the Apogee (and other similar models) that are in the $200-300 range which better aligns with a group/club buy where the benefits can be shared.

Offline rcbows

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2014, 07:41:54 AM »
Here is my DIY Post of a year ago on the LED Lights!

http://ronsaquatics.com/2013/09/

You can schroll down the page to see it!

Ron

Offline lauraleellbp

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2014, 08:45:47 AM »
Bruce - I contacted him and he's in the process of moving so won't be making any more till after he's moved and settled in, said he'd let me know as soon as he has some more available though.

Offline KDS

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2014, 06:49:19 PM »
Ron, I am wondering if your lights would have lasted longer if there was a glass canopy separating the water from the light?  Did you just put the light over the water or did you use a canopy?  Thanks!

Offline Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2014, 10:12:48 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, LauraLee.  Please keep me in the loop!  This sounds like an interesting tool at a reasonable price.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 10:18:41 PM by Bruce »

Offline rcbows

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2014, 07:47:22 AM »
KDS,

I thought of that , but it was too expensive for me to consider.  The commercial lights I bought from Marineland had a plastic shield on the canopy, but did not last any longer, so I didn't want to spend more money on my DIY ones just to find that it wouldn't help. It the moisture that get to the LED's, unless its in sealed chamber I don't think it would matter. These are the ones I bought from Dr. Foster/Smiths:

and Walmarts:

Like I said they both lasted about a year then failed, and were not good for plants!

Ron

Offline Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 09:03:23 PM »
An update report on the LED light fixture that is described at the beginning of this thread - it has been about 9 months since I built the fixture out of a plastic gutter and LED light strips.  All three strips are still shining and effectively lighting my 80 gallon acrylic tank.  I did have to solder another one of the connections recently because, as previously mentioned, the biggest problem with this design seems to be the connections. My recommendation for this project remains the same - this is project is not for everyone but if you are handy and have access to a soldering iron it can make an interesting DIY project.