Author Topic: 2014 Grow Out  (Read 2913 times)

Offline elephish

• Elephants never Forget !
    • View Profile
2014 Grow Out
« on: March 08, 2014, 07:50:08 PM »
Get some tank space ready for this years contest . It's open to all current members for a nominal fee . Great chance to see how your fish husbandry skills compare to all the other participants .

Offline Bruce

• View Profile
Re: 2014 Grow Out
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 07:56:28 PM »
Will the grow out fry be available at the March monthly meeting?  If not, when?  Also are you able to announce what species it will be this year?  Thanks.

Offline WMPL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 10:07:48 AM »
Fish for the Grow Out will be available at the April meeting. The fish will be special this year - Silver Dollars (Metynnis hypsauchen). So, start preparing a tank for your entry. Cost to enter is $5.00 and that covers expenses and awards.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 10:10:08 AM by WMPL »
Bill Little
Past President
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society

Offline elephish

• Elephants never Forget !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 11:27:37 AM »
OK the time has come for the competition to begin . This Mon is the distribution of the fish . Jeff Carter has plenty of babies for us . THANKS Jeff ! Don't forget to thank Hank as he is the one that makes this all possible .

Offline WMPL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 12:18:41 PM »
Remember, you must be a member of TBAS and your dues current. Check the sign in sheet as you arrive for the meeting.
Bill Little
Past President
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society

Offline Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 03:40:16 PM »
Are there any updates on how grow-out fish are doing this year?  Mine are growing fast but they're still a long way from 6-8".  Someone mentioned that the number of entries was down this year, but I didn't hear how many entries there were, does anyone know the number of entrants?  Also the fish were identified as Silver Dollars, but I don't remember hearing the specific scientific name (Metynnis argenteus, Metynnis hypsauchen, Metynnis maculates, etc.).  Does anyone know?

Offline Hank

• Just Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 07:40:53 PM »
This fish is from Jeff Carter and he calls it the spotted metynnis. I believe this to be Metynnis maculatus. I make up 30 bags for the contest every year and this is the first year that I had any left. We only gave out 25 bags of silver dollars. I have not received any information on how everyone is doing on raising this fish. We should have a good return in September since they are relatively hardy fish.

Offline Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 11:04:10 PM »
Thanks Hank.  In line with your statement about them being hardy, I know I haven't lost any so far.  I did find them to be skittish at first but they seem to have settled in nicely and now come to the glass looking for food when I approach their tank.  Most of the information on the internet describes this species at 6-8".  What is the size of the largest breeders that Jeff is using?

Offline Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 09:50:13 PM »
Everyone has been especially quiet this year on their grow-out fish.  Does anyone have any updates?  ???

Offline proyect01

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 04:34:36 PM »
My F0 Baenschi female spit like 30 five days ago and one more is holding and six more days will spit