Author Topic: Drilling tanks  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Bruce

• View Profile
Drilling tanks
« on: January 07, 2012, 06:41:11 PM »
I am planning to build a rack of 10 gallon tanks that are connected to a single system.  I am thinking about drilling the tanks in the bottom and adding stand pipes, however I am unsure what size hole to drill and therefore what size holesaw to purchase.  What is the standard (or recommended) hole size or bulkhead size?  Thanks.

Offline dre_day

• View Profile
Re: Drilling tanks
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 11:06:46 AM »
Standard would be 1". But for tens you can go with 3/4 or 1/2. It really depends on the flow you want out of your system. I have a system with 12 tens on it. They are all drilled for 3/4 bulkheads. I have the lines from the tank piped into 3/4 x 1" tees. It gives me more flow with 1" pipe. But I do not have that much flow going it just helps with drainage. You dont want to get back ups when plumbing the tanks.

If you are doing them on one row you will need to go with a larger drain pipe to make sure it can handle all the water from each tank. If you are doing multiple rows then the drain pipe can be smaller since it is handling a smaller volume of water. It is also easier to use one size pipe all the way around as well, easy on the budge and the mind.

You really should not need larger than 3/4". if you are using them for grow out then a higher flow is ok, but a 1" drain pipe can handle about 600gph, in a ten gal that is like 60 water changes an hour. unless the are a riverine species that will be to much. 1/2" for slow or a trickle system and 3/4" for a high turnover system.