Author Topic: DIY GU10 LED fixture.  (Read 4497 times)

Offline ohbaby714

• View Profile
DIY GU10 LED fixture.
« on: December 08, 2011, 07:42:27 AM »
About 3 month back i build myself a LED fixure with 12 CREE XR-E Q5. It turn out to be the best lighting fixture for my freshwater shrimps tank. Low power consumption and grows well with minimal algae.

I retro fit them into an old 24" flurescent and hang it about 6" above the tank. They are fitted wtih 60 degree lense to spread out the light.
The problem with the whole build is that it end up costing way too much. I spent close to $150 on it. Anyway, time come where i'm itching to build another one and i did some research.

I'll try to make some GU10 LED fixture and retro fit it in my other 24" ligth fixtrure.

Here are the parts so far.

GU10 3w LED 6500K light bulbs on ebay about $4 each

GU 10 Ceramic Sockets also from ebay $20 for 30 of them.

So far so good the price is only about $60 and still have about 20 GU 10 socket to retro fit my other fixture in the future.

My plan is to fit 10 x GU10 in a straight rows in the 24" light. At 3 watt each and minimal current, I'll see if the fixture will decent enough for my 20 gallon long shrimps tanks.

I'm open to anykind of advise and will post more pictures as i build them.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:44:56 AM by ohbaby714 »

Offline ohbaby714

• View Profile
Re: DIY GU10 LED fixture.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 08:54:36 AM »
Well, just to update.

The project fails, GU10 that i bought are very weak, i used 3-3w bulb over a 10g tank and it's very weak. That mean the cost of it will exceed the benefits.

I'm going a CFL route. Found a fixture pretty affordable on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016BOYZ4/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

I'll use a 1-13W and 1- 23W 6500k from Walmart so it won't be an over kill. So far the cost will only be around $30-$35.

I have some HM in the tank with DIY CO2. Hopefully this will be much better than the GU10.

Offline dre_day

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 08:59:32 AM »
I dont think LEDs are going to break your bank. if you are looking for high lighting then yes they wont fill that need. but to light up a tank for viewing they are perfect.

I see your first 24" looks great, 12 leds is a lot for a 24" fixture. But you look at the up front cost, look at the long run. Most leds will run for 50k to 60k hours, that is about 15 years continuously on. That alone will cover the cost of any replacement bulbs  you would have to buy for any other type of light fixture. The compact flor are good but they dont put out a lot of light either, you need a good reflector for them as well.

Leds are going to be the standard very soon. most people who can afford the upfront cost have them everywhere. When the fixtures for saltwater first came out they were poorly constructed. the leds burned out and there was no way to replace them. now things are much better. check out marineland's led lights, they are very good. I think you would get better coverage by spreading the LED out a little more and not keeping them in a straight line.

if you used 4 24" fixtures like the one you made you would have the sun in your tank. way to much in my opinion. for growing plants and corals the amount of light you need is massive, even for t5 and power compacts. yes they use a lot of power and you need to replace them every 6m to a year. but they cover a great portion of the tank and are easy to retro-fit or custom build. the LED takes a long time to build compared to the others.

for a 10g the leds should be perfect. anyway just my thoughts. good luck.

Offline Starsplitter7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 10:46:42 AM »
Thanks for posting your project.  It is amazing what people design.  Ir eally like to see what people come up with. 

Offline PattyM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 11:36:20 AM »
And I like to see if it worked or not, nice posting.
Have a great day! 
Patty

MaxieGodde

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 09:32:53 PM »
LED Lights are very common today. When they emerged, people enjoyed them for decorate their tanks. Today they seem to be their preference for the whole day aquarium lighting. LED aquarium lights have been led strip lighting outdoor 12v led light bars led strip lighting changing people’s life. Hear this information, you will wonder why people willing to spend their time on this kind LED lights? How’s its function? Is different form other lights?

xfoxx

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 05:41:28 AM »
i think the LED light too bright to reshwater shrimps tank,may be you can use rigid LED strips or flexible LED strips